Turkey Sausage and Barley Soup
- In large saucepan, cover barley with 2 1/2 cups cold water. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 45 minutes or until barley is tender. Drain well; transfer to bowl and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in skillet set over medium heat; cook sausage, breaking up with spatula, for 5 minutes or until browned and no longer pink inside. Transfer to cutting board; set aside.
- In Dutch oven or large saucepan, combine carrots, celery, potatoes, fennel, bell pepper and onion. Pour in enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to boil, then lower heat to medium; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes with juices and 2 cups water. Return to boiling, then lower heat to medium; simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in zucchini, parsley and red pepper flakes; stir in kale. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in sausage and barley. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until soup is heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Cooking Method: Sauté / Pan Fry
World Cuisine: Italian
Product: Extra Virgin