Roast Lamb Roman Style
- Pat meat dry with paper towels. Using a small knife, make slits about 1-inch deep all over the meat and insert slivers of garlic and rosemary.
- In small bowl, mix together olive oil, salt and pepper; rub all over lamb to coat well. Place lamb in deep dish; cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Place lamb on rack in roasting pan; pour in wine. Roast for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of the leg registers internal temperature of 135°F to 140ºF for medium-rare or 160ºF for medium. Baste meat every 15 minutes with pan juices; transfer roast to cutting board. Let cool slightly.
- Carve lamb into pieces, arrange on serving platter and pour pan juices over meat. Serve immediately.
- Use a white wine like Pinot Grigio in this recipe.
- To make a gravy for the roast, skim fat from pan drippings and place pan over two stovetop burners set on medium heat; stir in 1 tbsp all-purpose flour and 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth to make a smooth sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste; serve on the side.
- To make this recipe gluten free, omit the gravy.
Recipe provided by Chef Mary Ann Esposito
Cooking Method: Roast
World Cuisine: Italian
Product: Olive Oil