Olive Oil Southern Fried Chicken with Honey Pecan Glaze
- Fried Chicken: In large bowl, whisk buttermilk with hot sauce. Cut each chicken breast in half through center to create four pieces, similar in shape and size to the thighs. Submerge all chicken pieces in buttermilk mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- In shallow bowl, whisk together flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, baking powder and cayenne pepper. One piece at a time, remove chicken from buttermilk and shake off excess, then dredge in flour mixture to coat completely.
- Pour olive oil into large, enamel-coated cast iron Dutch oven set over medium heat. Attach a deep-frying thermometer to side of pot, ensuring it doesn’t touch the bottom; heat oil to 315°F. Fry chicken, in 2 to 3 batches, for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown and instant-read thermometer registers 165°F when inserted into thickest part of chicken. Transfer to rack set over paper towel–lined baking sheet. Keep warm in 200°F oven while frying remaining chicken.
- Honey Pecan Glaze: In small bowl, combine toasted pecans, honey and olive oil.
- Arrange chicken on serving platter; drizzle with glaze. Serve immediately.
Tip: Reuse oil for another fried recipe by allowing it to cool completely, then straining twice through a fine mesh sieve (discard solids). Pour clean oil into original bottles and store in a cool, dark area for up to 1 month.
Cooking Method: Deep Fry
World Cuisine: American
Product: Olive Oil