White Bean Bruschetta
- Position a rack 4 to 6 inches from the broiler and heat the broiler to medium.
- Place the baguette slices on a rimmed baking sheet and, using 3 Tbs. of the oil, lightly coat both sides of each slice using a pastry brush. Rub the bread with the garlic halves, transfer to the oven, and toast until light golden brown on both sides, 11/2 to 2 minutes. Season lightly with salt and set aside.
- Put 1/2 cup of the oil in a 1-quart saucepan and heat on low until the oil begins to shimmer. Add the sliced garlic and fry in batches, if necessary, until light golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- Combine the beans and their liquid, the remaining 1/4 cup oil, 1/2 tsp. salt, the granulated garlic, and red pepper flakes in another 2-quart saucepan and heat on low heat until warmed through.
- Put the peppers in a small bowl and toss to combine. Top the baguette slices with 1 Tbs. of the bean mixture, pressing lightly into the bread. Garnish with the chopped peppers and a slice of the fried garlic, and serve.
Tip: The creamy richness of the beans turns this light and healthy dish into a richly satisfying treat. Serve as an appetizer or hors d’oeuvre, or portion two to a person with a green salad for lunch.
Cooking Method: Broil
World Cuisine: Italian
Product: Extra Virgin