Chunky Plum Tomato Sauce
- Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in large sauté pan set over medium heat; sauté onion, celery, carrot, parsley and bay leaves for 5 minutes or until onion is translucent but vegetables have not browned.
- Increase heat to high; stir in one-third of the tomatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until tomatoes start to soften. Add half of the remaining tomatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining tomatoes and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until chunky sauce forms.
- Remove and discard bay leaves from sauce. Stir in salt, parsley and remaining olive oil.
- To freeze: Divide sauce into 2 freezer-safe plastic containers or large resealable plastic bags. Store in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw overnight in refrigerator or defrost in microwave, then reheat before serving over pasta.
- Pasta with Chunky Tomato Sauce: In large saucepan, cook 1 lb pasta according to package directions until al dente. Reserving 3/4 cup cooking water; drain pasta and return to cooking pot. Add 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and toss. Add 2 cups of warm sauce; toss to coat. Divide among plates. Top with 1 cup sauce.
Cooking Method: Sauté / Pan Fry
World Cuisine: Italian
Product: Extra Virgin