Balsamic Blackberry and Ricotta Hand Pies
- In bowl, whisk flour with salt; drizzle olive oil over top.
- Mix with fingertips until combined.
- Stir in 1/3 cup water just until pastry starts to come together.
- Turn out onto lightly floured work surface; knead until dough comes together into a ball, adding more water if necessary.
- Divide dough in half and shape each half into a disk.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Toss together blackberries, 2 tbsp water, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar and cornstarch.
- Transfer to saucepan set over medium-high heat; bring to boil.
- Boil, stirring often, for 6 to 8 minutes or until thickened. Let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Stir together ricotta, icing sugar, orange zest and cinnamon.
- On lightly floured surface, working with one portion of dough at a time, roll out into 8-inch circle, about 1/4-inch thick.
- Cut out 3 1/2-inch rounds from pastry to make 8 rounds, rerolling scraps if necessary.
- Repeat with remaining portion of dough. Refrigerate rounds for 30 minutes.
- Place 1 tbsp each Balsamic Blackberry Filling and ricotta mixture in center of 8 rounds, leaving border all around.
- Combine cornstarch with 2 tbsp water; brush over edges of rounds. Cap with remaining pastry rounds; crimp edges with fork to seal pastry.
- Cut two small vents in center of each hand pie; brush tops with olive oil. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool slightly.
Balsamic Blackberry Filling:
Tip: Substitute your favorite berries for blackberries if desired.
Cooking Method: Bake
World Cuisine: Italian
Product: Balsamic Vinegar