Filippo's Beef Short Ribs Ragu with Rigatoni
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven set over medium-high heat. Season ribs all over with salt and pepper. Brown, in batches, until golden brown all over. Transfer to a shallow dish. Drain fat, reserving 2 tbsp in Dutch oven.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add pancetta; cook for 5 minutes or until browned. Stir in onion, carrots and fennel. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until softened. Stir in garlic; cook for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms; cook for 2 minutes or until slightly softened. Increase heat to medium-high. Pour in 1/3 cup wine; simmer for 3 minutes or until almost completely evaporated. Stir in red pepper flakes and oregano.
- Return ribs to pan. Stir in tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and remaining wine. Cover with a tight fitting lid or heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until ribs are very tender. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer ribs to a cutting board. Pull meat from bones and cut into small pieces; discard any fat and connective tissues. Return meat to Dutch oven; cook until heated through. Toss with cooked rigatoni. Sprinkle with grated Parmigiano Reggiano before serving.
Tip: This recipe can also be prepared in a slow cooker set to low for 8 to 10 hours. Try using a liner in the slow cooker to save on clean up time.
Ingredient: Beef & Veal
Cooking Method: Sauté / Pan Fry
World Cuisine: Italian
Product: Extra Light