Balsamic Grilled Chicken with Tomatoes
- Split chickens, loosen skin from flesh and press down hard to flatten; place in large tray with sides or two 9- x 13-inch baking dishes.
- In glass measuring cup, whisk vinegar and 1 1/2 tsp of the salt until dissolved; stir in sage. Pour vinegar mixture under skin of chickens, rubbing to distribute to drumsticks. Using paring knife, make small slit at base of each breast; tuck drumstick tip into each slit to secure. Grill immediately or refrigerate, skin side down, for several hours.
- Prepare grill for indirect cooking, firing briquettes or lighting gas on sides of grill only. Place 9- x 13-inch drip pan on center of lower grate; add 1 cup hot water. Place chickens, skin side up, in center of greased grill; close lid and grill, adding additional hot water to drip pan if needed, for 1 1/4 hours or until instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh without touching bone reads 175°F. Let stand on platter for 10 minutes or until instant-read thermometer reads 180°F.
- Pour pan juices into microwaveable measuring cup. Skim and discard any fat; stir in 1/4 tsp salt. Microwave on high for 1 minute; drizzle over chicken.
- Meanwhile, cut shallow cross in cut side of each tomato. Arrange, cut side up, on baking sheet. Combine bread crumbs, oil, garlic and remaining salt. Using back of spoon and pressing lightly, spread crumb mixture over cut sides of tomatoes; broil for 5 minutes or until golden.
To oven-roast chickens, preheat oven to 375°F. Place chickens in shallow roasting pan and roast for 1 hour or until instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh without touching bone reads 175°F. Let stand on platter for 10 minutes or until instant-read thermometer reads 180°F.
Recipe Provided by Chef Sharon Sanders
1 hr 30 min
Cooking Method: Grill
World Cuisine: Italian
Product: Olive Oil