Crescentine (Fried Dough Pillows)
- Grease large bowl with 1/4 cup of oil; set aside. In mixing bowl, combine 3 cups flour, cornstarch and salt; make a well in center. Set aside. In large measuring cup, combine yeast, olive oil and milk; stir to dissolve the yeast. Pour into well in bowl; stir with fork to make a ball.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured work surface; knead dough for about 6 minutes, adding flour as needed until dough is smooth and elastic. Transfer to prepared bowl; coat with olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap; let rest for about 45 minutes or until doubled.
- Punch down dough; let rest for 10 minutes. On lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into 1/4-inch-thick round. Using a pizza cutter, cut into 2-inch squares. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Line large tray with several layers of paper towels. In large, heavy saucepan, heat oil to 375°F. (Test by adding 1 scrap of dough: if the oil bubbles up vigorously, it is hot enough.)
- Add just enough dough pieces to fill the pan without crowding; fry for 5 minutes or until dough puffs and is golden on all sides, turning as needed. Transfer to prepared tray; sprinkle with salt. (If some puffs are too difficult to turn, hold them down gently with a slotted spoon or tongs.)
Tip to prepare in food processor: In food processor, combine flour, cornstarch and salt. With machine running, pour milk mixture through feed tube; process for about 45 seconds or until mixture forms a ball. Turn out dough onto floured surface and continue with the recipe.
Cooking Method: Sauté / Pan Fry
World Cuisine: Italian
Product: Extra Light