- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease 10-inch round springform pan with olive oil.
- In sauté pan, combine pecans, sugar and salt over low heat; stir constantly, until nuts are toasted and sugar begins to melt slightly. Remove from pan; let cool.
- In small microwaveable bowl, microwave unsweetened chocolate for 2 minutes; stir well (if any lumps remain, microwave for about 20 seconds longer.) Stir and set aside.
- On sheet of waxed paper, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Stir to mix well; set aside.
- Using electric mixer, beat olive oil with sugar until combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add melted chocolate and vanilla. With mixer on low, beat in flour mixture just until incorporated. Fold in chocolate chunks; spread evenly into prepared pan. Top with Pecan Crunch.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Transfer to rack; let cool. Remove outer ring of pan.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar before serving if desired.
- Instead of topping with Pecan Crunch, mix 1/2 cup toasted and cooled pine nuts, walnuts or hazelnuts into the batter if desired.
- As the torte bakes, it will rise, then fall slightly. The surface may crack, giving it a rustic look.
- Whipped cream, a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a scattering of fresh raspberries makes a great accompaniment to the torte.
Recipe provided by Chef Francesco Tonelli
Cooking Method: Bake
World Cuisine: American
Product: Extra Light