Barbecued Leg of Lamb with Cucumber Yogurt Dip
- Line large plastic colander or sieve with a large piece of double-thickness cheesecloth or large coffee filter. Place colander over deep bowl. Spoon yogurt into colander; cover with waxed paper. Refrigerate for about 24 hours or until liquid no longer drains from yogurt. Remove yogurt; place in bowl. Discard liquid.
- Cut cucumber into quarters; remove seeds. Finely chop cucumber; drain on paper towels. Stir cucumber, olive oil, vinegar and garlic into yogurt. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Meanwhile, place lamb in large shallow glass dish. Combine onion, wine, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano and bay leaf; reserve 1/3 cup. Pour remaining marinade over lamb, turning to coat both sides. Cover and refrigerate for 3 or 4 hours or overnight, turning occasionally. Remove lamb from marinade; discard marinade.
- Brush barbecue grill with olive oil. Grill lamb, with lid down, over hot coals for 20 minutes, basting occasionally with reserved marinade. Turn lamb with tongs; grill for 20 minutes or until desired doneness.
- Transfer to warm serving platter. Carve into thin slices; season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with Cucumber-Yogurt Dip, pita bread and lemon wedges.
Tip: Make this recipe gluten-free by omitting the pitas.