- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 10-inch round springform pan with olive oil. In small microwaveable bowl, microwave unsweetened chocolate for 2 minutes; stir well (if any lumps remain, microwave for about 20 seconds longer.) Stir and set aside. On sheet of waxed paper, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Stir to mix well; set aside.
- Using electric mixer, beat olive oil with sugar until combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add melted chocolate and vanilla. With mixer on low, beat in flour mixture just until incorporated. Fold in chocolate chunks; spread evenly into prepared pan. Top with Pecan Crunch.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Transfer to rack; let cool. Remove outer ring of pan.
Pecan Crunch:In sauté pan, combine pecans, sugar and salt over low heat; stir constantly, until nuts are toasted and sugar begins to melt slightly. Remove from pan; let cool.
• Sprinkle with icing sugar before serving if desired.
• Instead of topping with Pecan Crunch, mix 1/2 cup toasted and cooled pine nuts, walnuts or hazelnuts into the batter if desired.
• As the torte bakes, it will rise, then fall slightly. The surface may crack, giving it a rustic look.
• Whipped cream, a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a scattering of fresh raspberries makes a great accompaniment to the torte.
Recipe provided by Chef Francesco Tonelli
1 hr 10 min
Cooking Method: Bake
World Cuisine: American
Product: Extra Light