Tuscan Veggie Burgers with Goat Cheese and Arugula
Prep Time: 35 min
Inactive Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Total Time: 1 hr
- 5 tbsp Filippo Berio Robusto Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 lb.), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 9 oz Tuscan kale, blanched for 3 to 4 minutes and chopped
- 1 cup cooked farro or barley
- 1 cup packed sourdough breadcrumbs, preferably fresh
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
- Cheese spread:
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Robusto Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano leaves, loosely packed
- 4 oz. goat cheese, at room temperature
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 oz. baby arugula
- 4 thick slices ripe tomato
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 Tbs. of the oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the eggplant and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the eggplant is softened and browned in spots, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the eggplant to a large bowl and let cool to room temperature. Add the kale, farro, breadcrumbs, garlic, Parmesan, eggs, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1 Tbs. olive oil, until the mixture is completely combined.
- Form the mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties, pressing firmly to make sure they are densely packed. Cover and refrigerate the patties for 30 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 2 Tbs. olive oil in a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the burgers and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Transfer the burgers to a plate.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat 1 Tbs. olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the oregano leaves and cook, stirring often, until crispy and golden brown in some spots, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. In a small bowl, mix the goat cheese, crispy oregano, and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Arrange the arugula and tomatoes on individual serving plates. Top each with a burger and serve with the goat cheese spread.