Turkey Sausage and Barley Soup
Prep Time: 15 min
Inactive Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 1 hr 10 min
Total Time: 1 hr
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 1 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb (white parts only), chopped
- 1 sweet red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz) diced plum tomatoes (no salt added)
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise, then sliced in 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1/4 tsp hot red pepper flakes
- 2 cups kale, escarole, Swiss chard or spinach, stems removed, leaves shredded
- Freshly ground pepper
- In large saucepan, cover barley with 2 1/2 cups cold water. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 45 minutes or until barley is tender. Drain well; transfer to bowl and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in skillet set over medium heat; cook sausage, breaking up with spatula, for 5 minutes or until browned and no longer pink inside. Transfer to cutting board; set aside.
- In Dutch oven or large saucepan, combine carrots, celery, potatoes, fennel, bell pepper and onion. Pour in enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to boil, then lower heat to medium; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes with juices and 2 cups water. Return to boiling, then lower heat to medium; simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in zucchini, parsley and red pepper flakes; stir in kale. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in sausage and barley. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until soup is heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.