Tomato and Tortellini Soup
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 35 min
Total Time: 45 min
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Olive Oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1/2 cup Filippo Berio Tomato & Ricotta Pesto
- 1 tsp each dried basil and oregano
- Pinch chili pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 oz) whole Italian-style tomatoes
- 4 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 pkg (12 oz) fresh cheese tortellini
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Heat oil in large saucepan set over medium heat; cook onion, garlic, carrot and celery for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add pesto, basil, oregano and chili flakes; cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, salt and pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- In blender or using immersion blender, purée tomato mixture; return to pan and bring to simmer. Add tortellini; cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle with parsley and Parmesan.
Tip: Add 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil instead of dried basil if desired.