Thyme and Roasted Garlic Olive Oil Potato Gratin
Prep Time: 20 min
Inactive Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 1 hr 30 min
Total Time: 2 hr 20 min
- 1/4 cup Filippo Berio Robusto Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 lb yellow-fleshed potatoes, peeled
- 1 onion
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp roasted garlic purée
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease 13- x 9-inch baking dish with olive oil; set aside. Use a mandoline or very sharp knife, cut potatoes and onion into 1/8-inch thick slices. Whisk together oil, broth, cream, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Arrange one-third of the potatoes in prepared dish, overlapping slices; top with half of the onions. Stir cream mixture and slowly pour one-third over top. Repeat layers, ending with remaining potatoes and cream mixture. Toss together Gruyère, Asiago and Parmesan; sprinkle over top. Arrange thyme sprigs over cheese. Cover with foil.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until potatoes are softened and sauce is bubbling. Remove foil; bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until potatoes are very tender and top is golden brown. Let stand for 30 minutes before serving.
Tip: Roasted garlic purée is available in the produce section, as well as the freezer section. Alternatively, roast a whole garlic head by cutting off the top third, then placing garlic head on a small sheet of foil; drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil. Wrap tightly; bake in 400°F oven for about 45 minutes or until very tender and golden brown.