Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Shakshuka
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Total Time: 30 min
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Olive Oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup Filippo Berio Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
- 8 eggs
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 8 small pita breads, warmed
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat oil in ovenproof, high-sided skillet set over medium heat; cook onion, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper and chili flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until vegetables start to soften.
- Stir in diced tomatoes and pesto; bring to simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes or until thickened.
- Using a spoon, make 8 divots in sauce; crack 1 egg into each divot. Baste each egg with a little of the sauce; transfer to oven. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until eggs are soft-cooked or until desired doneness. Garnish with basil and parsley. Serve with pita bread.
- Substitute cilantro for parsley if desired.
- Top with finely crumbled feta cheese before serving.
- Make this dish grain and gluten free by omitting the pita.