Spicy Spanish Chicken and Rice Skillet
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 35 min
Total Time: 50 min
- 3 tbsp Filippo Berio Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Filippo Berio Spicy Tomato Pesto
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp each salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced green olives (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 lemon wedges
- In large bowl, combine oregano, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, coriander, salt, pepper and cayenne; add chicken, tossing to coat evenly. Heat half of the olive oil in large straight-sided skillet set over medium-high heat; cook chicken, in batches, for about 3 minutes per side or until browned. Transfer to plate.
- Add remaining oil to skillet; cook onion, bell peppers and garlic for about 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in rice until well coated. Add broth and tomatoes; bring to boil. Stir in pesto, and olives (if using). Return chicken and any accumulated juices to pan.
- Cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with lemon wedges.
Tip: Substitute converted whole grain brown rice or quinoa for the white rice if desired.