Mexican Chicken in Peanut Sauce
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 55 min
Total Time: 1 hr 10 min
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (or 1/4 cup oat bran and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour)
- 1 1/2 lb boneless chicken breasts, skinned and cut in half (or turkey breast)
- 1/3 cup Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 2 sweet bell peppers, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted unsalted peanuts
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Place flour in plastic or paper bag; shake one piece of chicken at a time to coat. Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in heavy skillet set over medium heat; sauté chicken, turning once, for 10 minutes or until lightly browned on both sides. Set chicken aside.
- Add remaining oil to skillet; sauté peppers and onion until tender. Add chicken broth, peanuts, oregano, chili powder, cloves, cinnamon and garlic to skillet; bring to simmer. Remove 1/2 cup sauce and blend with cornstarch; stir into skillet and simmer until thickened.
- Return chicken to skillet; cover and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes or until chicken is tender. Season with pepper to taste.
Recipe provided by The Low Cholesterol Olive Oil Cookbook.