Spanish Crispy Potato Tortilla
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Total Time: 25 min
- 4 Tbs. Filippo Berio Olive Oil
- 1 lb. (unpeeled) Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into medium (½-inch) dice
- Kosher salt
- 2 large shallots, diced (a generous ½ cup)
- 6 large eggs
- Freshly ground black pepper
A traditional tortilla española is delicious, but it takes a bit of work—and some dexterity to flip. This quicker version uses a “crowded sauté” method to cook the potatoes until golden and crispy in a skillet. Don’t be tempted to use less oil—the generous amount is key to the crispy, golden texture of the potatoes and to the “fried” edges of the eggs. Serve this for breakfast, supper, or as a tapas.
- In a medium (10-inch) oven-safe cast-iron or nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the potatoes and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir well, cover (with the lid slightly askew), and cook, stirring frequently, until most of the potatoes have taken on some golden browning. (Take care when removing the lid as the steam will sputter.) Listen–the oil should be gently sizzling. If the potatoes are cooking too fast, turn the heat down a bit.
- Uncover, reduce the heat to medium (if you haven’t already), add the shallots and 1/4 tsp. salt, stir, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallots are softened and the potatoes are a deep golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Heat the broiler on high and arrange a rack 6 to 8 inches from the element.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs with 1/4 tsp. salt until well combined. Stir the potatoes and shallots, season with pepper, and pour the mixture into the skillet. Quickly and gently, use the spatula to redistribute any potatoes that have clumped together (if necessary). (Some of the potatoes will be poking above the egg.) Let the eggs set completely around the edges, about 2 minutes. Put the skillet on the rack under the broiler and cook until the top is fully set and lightly browned and the edges of the tortilla are puffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Slide the tortilla out of the pan onto a wooden cutting board and cut into wedges or squares. Serve hot or at room temperature.