Spaghetti with Sicilian Eggplant Pesto Sauce
Prep Time: 10 min
Inactive Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Total Time: 45 min
- 2 Sicilian eggplants
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1/3 cup Filippo Berio Olive Oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1 cup Filippo Berio Grilled Vegetable Pesto
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 tbsp Filippo Berio Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cut eggplants into 1/2-inch cubes; transfer to colander set over bowl. Sprinkle with 1 tsp salt; toss well. Let stand for 20 minutes. (Salt will help draw out excess moisture and remove any bitterness in the eggplant.) Pat dry with paper towel.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/3 cup cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook cubed eggplant for 3 to 5 minutes or until slightly softened. Stir in garlic and capers; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until eggplant is tender. Stir in pesto, tomatoes, vinegar, remaining salt and pepper. Bring to simmer; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until fragrant and slightly thickened.
- Add spaghetti and reserved cooking liquid to pan, stirring until well coated. Stir in basil. Serve with Parmesan cheese (if using).