Smoky Spanish Seafood Stew
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Total Time: 40 min
- 3 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Pinch saffron threads
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 jar passata (strained, puréed tomatoes)
- 1 cup fish broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 lb mussels
- 1 lb shrimp
- 4 calamari, sliced into 1/4-inch rings
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tbsp Filippo Berio Red Wine Vinegar
- Rustic bread, for serving (optional)
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan set over medium heat; cook onion, carrot, celery, garlic, salt, smoked paprika, pepper, saffron and cayenne for about 5 minutes or until vegetables start to soften. Stir in tomato paste; cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in passata, fish broth and bay leaves; bring to simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes or until sauce starts to thicken.
- Meanwhile, discard any mussels that do not close when tapped. Stir mussels into stew; cover and cook for about 5 minutes or until mussels just start to open. Stir in shrimp; cook for about 2 minutes or until shrimp start to turn pink.
- Stir in calamari; cook for 2 minutes or until shrimp are cooked through and calamari turn opaque and are just cooked through (do not overcook). Discard any mussels that have not opened and remove bay leaves. Stir in parsley and vinegar. Serve with bread (if using).
- Substitute chicken broth or clam juice for fish broth.
- Serve over rice or pasta if desired.
- Use a combination of any seafood you like: try littleneck clams, scallops, and cubed white-fleshed fish, such as cod, halibut, tilapia or sole.