Savory Zucchini and Fontina Muffins
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Total Time: 30 min
Servings: 10 or more
- 1/2 cup Filippo Berio Sun Dried Tomato Pesto, divided
- 1/3 cup Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 12 cubes Fontina cheese (1/2-inch cubes)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 12-cup muffin pan with large paper liners.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. In separate bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup pesto, olive oil, milk, sugar and egg; stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Fold in zucchini and green onions.
- Divide half of the batter evenly among muffin cups; place cube of Fontina on top of batter. Top each with 1 tsp remaining pesto; top with remaining batter.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and top of muffin springs back when pressed lightly. Let cool slightly; serve warm.
Tip: Add 1/2 cup cooked and crumbled bacon to make these muffins extra savory and over-the-top delicious.