Roasted Fennel and Cherry Tomato Sauce
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Total Time: 30 min
Servings: 1 3/4 Cups
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Delicato Extra Virgin Olive Oil (approx.)
- 1 large fennel bulb (bulb part only), sliced thinly into rings
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brush 13- x 9-inch baking pan with olive oil. Add olive oil, fennel, cherry tomatoes, garlic, sugar and salt to pan; bake, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes or just until vegetables have softened.
- Stir in 1 tbsp of minced capers at the end of the cooking time to give the sauce a nice sweet-and-sour taste. Two tbsp of fresh thyme stirred into the sauce is another refreshing variation.
- This makes a delicious side dish to Cornish hens served with potatoes, or spooned over baked fish.
- Toss this sauce with 3/4 lb spaghetti or a short-cut macaroni, such as ziti or penne.
- The sauce also makes a terrific pizza topping.
Recipe provided by Chef Mary Ann Esposito