Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 1 hr
Total Time: 1 hr 10 min
- 1 butternut squash (about 2 lb), halved lengthwise, seeds removed
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh jalapeño pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water (optional)
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Light Olive Oil (approx.)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Place squash, cut sides down, on lightly greased baking pan. Roast for 45 minutes or until flesh is tender when pierced with fork. Remove from heat; let cool. Using large spoon, scoop flesh into bowl of food processor.
- Add jalapeño, cumin and coriander to squash; pour in broth. Purée until smooth, adding water (if needed) to facilitate puréeing.
- In Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and shallot; sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or until shallot is translucent.
- Transfer squash mixture to Dutch oven; stir to combine with garlic mixture. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If you do not have vegetable broth on hand, substitute equal parts V8 vegetable juice and water.
- If desired, roast squash up to three days ahead of time; refrigerate until ready to use.
Recipe provided by Chef Jim Coleman