Quick Mole Sauce
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Total Time: 35 min
- 3 tbsp Filippo Berio Robusto Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp smooth almond butter
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- Heat oil in saucepan set over medium heat; cook onion, chili powder, cinnamon, cumin oregano, garlic and jalapeño, stirring, for about 2 minutes or until fragrant and onion is softened. Stir in flour; cook, stirring, for about 1 minute or until mixture forms paste-like consistency.
- Pour in broth; bring to boil, stirring constantly. Boil, stirring, for about 8 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a blender or using an immersion blender, purée mixture for 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth. Return sauce to saucepan set over medium heat. Whisk in cocoa powder, almond butter, and tomato paste; cook, whisking, for 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt. Serve warm, or let cool completely.
- Make ahead and refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- For a variation, use 3 tbsp cocoa nibs to replace cocoa powder.