Potato and Parsnip Mash
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Total Time: 25 min
Servings: 10 or more
- 4 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- Kosher salt
- 1 lb. parsnips, peeled, quartered lengthwise, cored and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 Tbs. Filippo Berio Delicato Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ cup crème fraîche
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper
Parsnips add a little sweet and earthy spice to mashed potatoes.
- Put the potatoes and parsnips in a 6- to 8-quart pot, cover by about 3 inches with cold water, add 1 Tbs. salt, bring to a boil, and cook until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes after the water begins to boil. Drain the potatoes and parsnips, put them back into the pot with the oil, and coarsely mash with a potato masher. Fold in the broth, crème fraîche, nutmeg, 2 tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper. (If you prefer a smoother texture, whip with a hand mixer on medium high until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.) Season to taste with salt and pepper.