Portobello Mushrooms Stuffed with Sausage and Swiss Chard
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Total Time: 55 min
- 3 tbsp Filippo Berio Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1/3 cup Filippo Berio Tomato & Ricotta Pesto
- 8 Portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed
- 1/2 tsp each salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 lb mild or hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups chopped Swiss chard
- 1 cup shredded provolone or mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Brush both sides of mushrooms with 2 tbsp of olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Arrange mushrooms, stem side up, on baking sheet. Roast for about 10 minutes or until slightly tender. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining olive oil in large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat; crumble in sausage and cook for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add onion and garlic; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in pesto and tomatoes until well combined. Add Swiss chard; cover and cook for about 5 minutes or until wilted. Stir well and remove from heat. Divide mixture evenly among mushroom caps, mounding if necessary. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Roast for 15 to 20 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with basil before serving.
Tip: Use the sausage mixture to stuff hollowed-out zucchini or eggplants, or serve over cooked spaghetti squash.