Porcini Mushroom Soup
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Total Time: 35 min
- 1 oz dried porcini mushrooms
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/4 lb white or brown mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp minced fresh rosemary
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 to 6 slices toasted rustic bread (1 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In microwavable glass measure, combine porcini mushrooms and 1 cup broth; cover with plastic wrap, venting one side. Microwave on high for 3 minutes or until liquid bubbles. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat oil over high heat; cook white mushrooms, garlic, rosemary, salt and red pepper flakes, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms start to release liquid.
- Meanwhile, working over small bowl and reserving excess liquid, strain porcini mixture through fine sieve lined with cheesecloth or coffee filter. Rinse porcini, pat dry and chop. Add porcini, reserved soaking liquid, remaining chicken broth, water and tomatoes to Dutch oven; cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
- To serve, place slice of toast in bottom of each soup bowl. Ladle soup over bread. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
Recipe provided by Chef Sharon Sanders