Panzanella (Bread Salad)
Prep Time: 30 min
Inactive Time: 5 min
Total Time: 35 min
- 8 to 10 oz rustic bread, cut into 1/2-inch-wide slices
- 1/2 cup Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Filippo Berio Red Wine Vinegar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 medium-large fresh tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 small red onion, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup loosely packed slivered fresh basil
- Freshly ground pepper
- Toast bread in toaster, toaster oven or oven broiler. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes; set aside to cool.
- In large bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar and salt. Add tomatoes, cucumber, onion, basil and bread. Toss and let stand for 15 to 30 minutes at room temperature, pressing salad occasionally with back of a spoon so the tomatoes release their juice. Season generously with pepper to taste.
Tip: If bread is too dry, toss with up to 1/4 cup more olive oil.
Recipe Provided by Chef Sharon Sanders