Orange and Anise Olive Oil Sugar Cookies
Prep Time: 15 min
Inactive Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Total Time: 1 hr 15 min
Servings: 48 Cookies
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground anise
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup Filippo Berio Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Orange Icing Sugar Glaze:
- 2 cups sifted icing sugar
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp Filippo Berio Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup coarse sugar
- 2 tbsp finely grated orange zest
- Stir together flour, anise, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. In separate bowl, stir sugar with olive oil. Stir in eggs, one at a time, incorporating well after each addition. Stir in milk, orange zest and vanilla until blended; stir in flour mixture until combined. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Roll scant tablespoonfuls of dough into balls. Place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in center of oven for 14 to 16 minutes or until bottoms and edges are pale golden and tops are set. Let cool for 10 minutes on baking sheets; transfer to racks and let cool completely.
- Orange Icing Sugar Glaze: Stir together icing sugar, orange juice and olive oil until smooth. Dip tops of cookies into glaze, letting excess drip off; place on rack.
Topping: Toss sugar with orange zest; sprinkle over cookies while glaze is still wet. Let stand for 30 minutes or until set.
Tip: For a decorative finish, use colored sugar if desired.