Moroccan Apricot and Green Olive Chicken Tagine
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 1 hr
Total Time: 1 hr 15 min
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Light Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Filippo Berio Red Wine Vinegar
- 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon, cumin and turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 2 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, quartered
- 1/3 cup sliced pitted green olives
- 1 can (14 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in large, straight-sided skillet set over medium-high heat; cook chicken, in batches, for 6 to 8 minutes or until browned. Using slotted spoon, transfer to plate.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, salt, pepper and hot pepper flakes to skillet; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender and fragrant. Stir in red wine vinegar, broth, diced tomatoes, apricots and green olives; bring to boil. Return chicken and any accumulated juices to skillet.
- Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until chicken is very tender. Add chickpeas; simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or until sauce is slightly reduced. Sprinkle with almonds, mint and cilantro.
Tip: For a traditional Moroccan meal, serve with cooked couscous and a dollop of plain yogurt.