Meatballs in Tomato Onion Sauce
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Total Time: 40 min
- 1 1/2 cups cubed day-old Italian bread (1/4-inch cubes)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino-Romano cheese
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Light Olive Oil
- 1 medium to large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cans (14 1/2 oz each) diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In mixing bowl, toss bread with milk until soaked; add beef, Pecorino-Romano and garlic. Beat together egg, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper; using hands, work into beef mixture until combined. Shape into 12 meatballs; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat oil in large skillet set over high heat; fry meatballs, turning frequently, for 5 minutes or until browned all over. Place on large rimmed baking sheet; bake for 15 minutes or until instant-read thermometer inserted in center of meatballs reads 160°F.
- Meanwhile, discard any fat in skillet; add onion to skillet and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until well browned. Stir in tomatoes and bring to boil; reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 8 minutes or until softened. Add remaining salt and parsley. Add meatballs to skillet, spooning some sauce over top; simmer for 3 minutes.
Recipe Provided by Chef Sharon Sanders