Lentil "Bolognese" with Macaroni
Prep Time: 20 min
Inactive Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 35 min
Total Time: 1 hr
- 1/4 cup Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 small carrot, minced
- 1 stalk celery heart, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/4 cups (8 oz) dried green lentils
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 6 canned San Marzano tomatoes with juice, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup maccheroni al torchio, elbow or similarly shaped pasta
- 3 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- Warm oil in Dutch oven set over medium-low heat; cook onion, carrot, celery, garlic and bay leaves, covered and stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Stir in lentils, salt and pepper. Add broth, water and tomatoes. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add pasta and 2 tbsp parsley; cook, partially covered, for 6 minutes or until pasta is almost al dente. If mixture is dry, heat 1/2 cup water, adding just enough to moisten sauce. Let stand for 5 minutes; discard bay leaves. Sprinkle with remaining parsley.
Recipe Provided by Chef Sharon Sanders