Kale, Pancetta and Mushroom Strata
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 1 hr 5 min
Total Time: 1 hr 25 min
Servings: 10 or more
- 3 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil (approx.)
- 1/2 lb sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced pancetta
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 4 cups stemmed shredded kale
- 10 cups cubed day-old French bread
- 8 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 1 3/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet set over medium-high heat; sauté mushrooms, pancetta, shallots and thyme for 5 to 8 minutes or until mushrooms are golden. Add kale; sauté for 3 or 4 minutes or until kale wilts. Let cool completely.
- In large bowl, toss bread cubes with mushroom mixture. Whisk eggs with milk; stir in Swiss and Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Pour over bread mixture, stirring until combined. Transfer to greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish; let stand for at least 30 minutes or until egg mixture is absorbed.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until puffed and golden, and center is set.
Tip: Make-ahead! Mixture can be covered and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.