Ham and Sun-Dried Tomato Strata
Prep Time: 45 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Total Time: 1 hr 25 min
- 12 oz rustic bread, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 bunch green onions, white and green parts, sliced
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Light Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, cut into strips
- 6 to 8 oz thick-sliced ham, cut into small chunks
- 1 cup shredded Fontina cheese, divided
- 3 eggs
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat 13- x 9-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Toast bread and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Place in prepared pan; set aside. Reserve 2 tbsp of dark green onion stems in small dish; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Heat oil in small skillet set over medium heat; cook remaining green onions, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes; cook for 1 minute or until green onions are softened. Spoon over bread; sprinkle ham and 3/4 cup cheese over top. Toss to combine.
- In mixing bowl, beat eggs lightly with fork; add 3 cups of milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Beat just until combined; pour over the bread mixture. Press down gently with back of spoon. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 12 hours.
- Remove plastic wrap; squeeze one of the top bread cubes. (If it’s not squishy, add remaining 1/2 cup of milk). Bake for 40 minutes or until cheese is golden and center is hot. Sprinkle each serving with reserved green onions.