Grilled Sausage-Stuffed Zucchini
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Total Time: 45 min
- 4 zucchini
- Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 lb uncooked mild or hot Italian sausage with fennel
- 4 fresh plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded provolone cheese, divided
- Prepare charcoal or gas grill for indirect cooking, firing briquettes or lighting gas on one side of grid only.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; using spoon, scoop out seeds and discard. Rub zucchini lightly with olive oil; set aside.
- Remove casings from sausage; using fork or your hands, mix together sausage, tomatoes, bread crumbs, garlic and 1/2 cup cheese. Spoon sausage mixture into zucchini, patting down evenly to ends; sprinkle with remaining cheese, patting down to help cheese adhere.
- Place zucchini directly on greased grill, on side away from hot briquettes or burner; close lid and grill for about 30 minutes or until nicely browned. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Tip: To bake Sausage-Stuffed Zucchini in the oven: Preheat oven to 400°F. Arrange zucchini on large greased baking sheet; cover and bake for 30 minutes or until nicely browned. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Recipe Provided by Chef Sharon Sanders