Grilled Octopus and Arugula Salad
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 1 hr 10 min
Total Time: 1 hr 20 min
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 4 cloves garlic, halved
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cleaned octopus (about 3 lb)
- 1/3 cup Filippo Berio Olive Oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 red pepper, quartered
- 4 cups baby arugula
- Pinch flaked sea salt (optional)
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Raspberry Balsamic Glaze
- In saucepan set over high heat, combine wine, 1 cup water, garlic, thyme and bay leaves; bring to boil. Reduce to simmer; add octopus. Cover and simmer gently for about 1 hour or until tender, turning halfway during cooking time if not completely submerged.
- Remove octopus from braising liquid; let cool slightly and pat dry with paper towel. Pull loose membranes from tentacles and discard. Toss with half of the olive oil, and salt and pepper.
- Preheat grill to high heat; grease grate well. Grill octopus for about 4 minutes per side or until charred. Meanwhile, grill red peppers for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until grill-marked and tender.
- Cut octopus and red peppers into bite-size pieces; toss with arugula and remaining oil. Season with sea salt (if using). Drizzle with Classic Balsamic Glaze.
- Get your fishmonger to clean the octopus for you. Otherwise, lay octopus on a large cutting board. Cut off head just above tentacles; remove ink sac, innards and outer skin. Turn cluster of tentacles over (inside out) and, squeezing the center, push out beak. Discard ink sac, innards, outer skin and beak. Rinse both head and body under cold water.
- Add 1 lb boiled mini potatoes to salad if desired.
- Serve with lemon wedges if desired.