Grilled Focaccia Golden Sandwiches
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Total Time: 15 min
- 2 cups thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp Filippo Berio Olive Oil, divided
- 2 6-inch focaccias
- 2 cups shredded or grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp thinly sliced fresh sage
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 small Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced, ends discarded
- 6 oz. prosciutto, sliced very thin
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
This grilled cheese packs a punch with flavorful fennel, fresh tomatoes, and silky prosciutto.
- Blanch the fennel in salted boiling water for about 2 minutes until tender; drain. Heat
1 Tbs. of the olive oil in a nonstick skillet on medium-high. Add the fennel and sautè for
1 minute or until lightly browned.
- Cut each focaccia in half horizontally. Sprinkle the cheese on the cut sides of the bottom halves. Follow with an even layer of sage and thyme. Arrange the tomato, fennel, and prosciutto over the sage and thyme; sprinkle with pepper. Top with the remaining 2 focaccia halves.
- Brush the outsides of the sandwiches with 1 Tbs. of olive oil. Coat a nonstick skillet with the remaining teaspoon of olive oil and heat over medium heat until hot. Place the sandwiches in the skillet. Cook 3 to 5 minutes on each side, pressing down with a metal spatula until the sandwiches are golden. Cut each sandwich into 3 wedges.