Fresh Tomatillo-Avocado Salsa
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Total Time: 10 min
- ½ lb. (4 medium) tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed in warm water, and quartered
- ½ cup packed fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1⁄3 cup chopped white onion
- 1 fresh serrano chile, stemmed and coarsely chopped, including seeds; more to taste
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ cup Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil; more for drizzle
- 1 firm-ripe avocado, halved, pitted, and flesh scooped out
This super easy salsa is a burst of fresh flavors, best eaten the day it is made. It is a classic without the avocado (salsa verde cruda), but with the avocado it takes on a lovely subdued creaminess.
- Put the tomatillos, cilantro, onion, chiles, garlic, cumin, salt, and the 1/2 cup oil in the blender and blend until almost smooth. Add the avocado and pulse to combine. Check the seasoning and transfer to a bowl; drizzle with oil, if desired.
- Serve with homemade tortilla chips or with grilled steak.