Fresh Mozzarella, Tomato, and Basil Crostini
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Total Time: 10 min
- 1 loaf crusty Italian bread, preferably a day old
- Filippo Berio Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, halved
- 1 lb. fresh mozzarella in whey
- 8 fresh plum tomatoes or small salad tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 large bunch fresh basil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare a medium-high gas or charcoal grill fire.
- Remove the end crusts from the bread and reserve for breadcrumbs. Slice the loaf into 1/2-inch-thick slices, cutting larger slices in half to make pieces that are about 2 inches square.
- Grill the bread until one side has dark grill marks and then turn to toast the other side. Rub each crostini with a cut side of garlic.
- Remove the mozzarella from the whey. Pat dry; cut into thin slices. Reserve several basil sprigs; set aside. On each crostini, place a slice of mozzarella, basil leaf, and tomato slice. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle a few drops of oil on each tomato. Place on serving platter; garnish with the reserved basil. Serve immediately.
Tip: Fresh mozzarella is made into balls of varying sizes. Smaller balls, such as “cherry” size, are ideal and just need slicing to fit the size of the crostini. If the balls are larger, cut in half or even quarters before slicing.