Prep Time: 2 hr 30 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Total Time: 3 hr
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp granulated sugar
- Coarse sea salt
- In mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water; let stand for 5 minutes, then pour in remaining warm water. In food processor or stand mixer, combine yeast mixture, 3 1/2 cups flour, olive oil, salt and sugar. (If dough seems too wet and is really sticking to your hands, or does not wrap around the blade of food processor or dough hook in stand mixer, add just enough of the remaining flour until dough forms smooth ball.
- Transfer to lightly floured work surface; cover with tea towel and let stand for 10 minutes. Grease 12-inch round pizza pan with oil or in nonstick ovenproof skillet. Using wet hands, press dough to edge of pan; cover with tea towel and let rise for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Using thumb, make indents all over surface of dough; brush liberally with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse sea salt. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. To serve, cut into wedges.
Tomatoes & Black Olive Topping:Halve a handful of cherry tomatoes and pitted black olives; toss with a little olive oil and fresh basil. When ready to bake, press down to make indentations in dough and brush liberally with olive oil. Season tomatoes with salt to taste; spread topping over dough and sprinkle with coarse salt if desired. Bake as directed.
Recipe provided by Chef Mary Ann Esposito