Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 35 min
Total Time: 45 min
- 1/2 cup Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil (approx.)
- 4 each garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 small hot pepper, crushed (optional)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 eggplant, peeled and diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 4 canned tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt (approx.)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup golden or dark raisins
- 2 tbsp capers in vinegar, drained
- Heat olive oil in large sauté pan set over medium heat; cook garlic for 2 minutes or just until fragrant. Add onion, and hot pepper (if using); cook for 8 minutes or until softened.
- Add diced eggplant and a little olive oil if necessary to gently coat the eggplant; cook, tossing frequently, for 12 to 15 minutes or until eggplant is softened.
- Add celery and tomatoes; cook for 10 to 15 minutes or mixture is moist, softened and well mixed. Add salt; reduce as needed until jam-like consistency.
- Add pine nuts, raisins and capers, and toss to mix well. Season with salt to taste. Let cool slightly; serve warm, at room temperature or cold.
Tip: Serve with an assortment of crisp breads.
Recipe provided by Francesco Tonelli.