Creamy Mushroom and Barley Risotto
Prep Time: 15 min
Inactive Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Total Time: 1 hr 15 min
- 1/2 oz dried mushrooms
- 5 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp Filippo Berio Delicato Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 lb mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp pepper, divided
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup barley
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese, divided
- 4 tsp Filippo Berio Classic Balsamic Glaze, divided
- 4 tsp finely chopped fresh chives
This risotto gets a lot of flavor from rehydrated dried mushrooms and the mushroom soaking liquid. Classic Balsamic Glaze provides the perfect tangy balance to the earthiness of the mushrooms and richness of the cheese.
- Soak mushrooms in 1/2 cup hot water for about 20 minutes or until softened. Remove mushrooms and chop; set aside. Strain soaking liquid through paper towel–lined sieve. In saucepan, bring mushroom soaking liquid, broth and bay leaves to boil; reduce heat to gentle simmer.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in large high-sided skillet or Dutch oven set over medium-high heat; cook mushrooms, and half each of the salt and pepper for about 8 minutes or until golden brown and all moisture has evaporated. Transfer to plate.
- In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat; cook onion, celery, garlic and thyme, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes or until softened. Add barley, and remaining salt and pepper; cook for about 2 minutes or until well coated. Stir in wine; cook until almost no liquid remains in pan.
- Add 1 cup broth; cook, stirring constantly, until almost all of the liquid is absorbed. Continue to cook, adding all but 1/2 cup broth, 1 cup at a time, stirring after each addition until all liquid is absorbed, for 30 to 35 minutes or until barley is tender but still slightly firm in center. Stir in reserved mushrooms and remaining broth; cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes or until mushrooms are heated through.
- Remove from heat; stir in half of the Parmesan and 2 tsp of the balsamic glaze. Divide among 4 bowls. Drizzle with remaining balsamic glaze; top with remaining Parmesan and chives.
- Add 1/2 cup thawed frozen peas in the last 5 minutes of cooking time if desired.
- Substitute shallots or leeks for onion if desired.
- Use your favorite mix of mushrooms: try cremini, shiitake and oyster mushrooms.