Chocolate, Cherry and Walnut Biscotti
Prep Time: 30 min
Inactive Time: 4 hr
Cook Time: 45 min
Total Time: 5 hr 15 min
Servings: 10 or more
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Filippo Berio Extra Light Olive Oil (approx.)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup walnut halves, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries or cranberries
- 1/2 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate morsels
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- Using electric mixer, beat 1/2 cup olive oil with sugar until smooth and light. Add eggs and egg yolk, one at a time, beating until smooth. Add milk and vinegar; beat until smooth. On low speed, gradually add flour mixture, beating just until combined. Stir in walnuts, cherries and chocolate morsels using a large spoon. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat 2 large baking sheets with 1/2 tbsp olive oil each. On lightly floured surface, turn out dough. Using pastry scraper, divide into quarters; roll each piece of dough into log, 1 1/2-inches in diameter. Place logs, separated, on prepared baking sheets; bake for about 30 minutes or until golden and set. Transfer to rack; let cool for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300°F. On cutting board and using serrated knife, cut each log into 3/4-inch-wide slices diagonally. Place slices, cut side down, on baking sheets. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until toasted. Transfer to racks; let cool.
Recipe Provided by Chef Sharon Sanders