Chicken with Olives
Prep Time: 8 hr
Cook Time: 35 min
Total Time: 8 hr 35 min
- 1/2 cup whole pitted green olives and/or black olives
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tbsp fresh sage leaves, torn
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, torn
- 1 tsp salt
- Pinch nutmeg
- Zest and juice of 2 large lemons
- Coarsely ground pepper
- 3 1/2 lb chicken pieces, bone-in and skin on
- 3 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 8 lemon slices
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and cut in thin strips
- Stir together olives, garlic, sage and rosemary; place in 9- x 12-inch baking dish. Stir in salt, nutmeg, lemon zest and juice; sprinkle with pepper. Add chicken, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat olive oil in large sauté pan set over medium-high heat; brown chicken, in single layer, all over. Increase heat to high; stir in wine and cook for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Add lemon slices and red pepper during last 10 to 12 minutes of cooking. Serve chicken hot with pan juices.
Tip: Keep peeled garlic cloves tightly wrapped in plastic wrap in the refrigerator.
Recipe provided by Chef Mary Ann Esposito