California Roll Salad Bowl
Prep Time: 25 min
Inactive Time: 2 min
Cook Time: 13 min
Total Time: 40 min
- 1 1/2 cups sushi rice
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Filippo Berio Extra Light Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 oz surimi crab legs or crab meat, cut into chunks
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 red pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 sheet nori, shredded and toasted
- Wasabi paste, for serving
- Pickled ginger, for serving
- Soy sauce, for serving
- Place rice in fine sieve; rinse under cold running water until water runs clear. In small saucepan set over medium-high heat, combine rice and water; bring to simmer, then reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, bring vinegar, sugar and salt to simmer; cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Stir in oil, ginger and garlic. Stir mixture into rice; let cool completely.
- Divide rice among 4 bowls. Top with crab, avocado, cucumber, red pepper, carrot and nori. Serve with wasabi, pickled ginger and soy sauce.
- To toast nori seaweed sheets, place on a baking sheet and broil for 30 seconds or until nori turns green and gets crispy.
- If you like nori, toast and shred an extra sheet to add to the salad.