Brown Rice Falafel Bowl
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 8 min
Total Time: 18 min
- 1 can (19 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley (leaves and stems)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp each ground cumin and paprika
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 bottle (17 oz) Filippo Berio Extra Light Olive Oil, for frying
- Falafel Bowl:
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup chopped cucumbers
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp tahini paste
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- Falafels: In food processor, combine chickpeas, parsley, flour, onion, garlic, cumin, paprika, baking powder and salt; pulse until mixture is just starting to come together. Roll into sixteen 1-inch balls; flatten slightly.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in saucepan set over medium heat until instant-read thermometer reaches 325°F. Fry falafel, in batches, for 2 or 3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towel–lined tray.
- Falafel Bowl: Divide rice among 4 bowls or portable containers. Top with falafel, cucumbers, tomato and red onion. Whisk together yogurt, olive oil, tahini and lemon juice until smooth; stir in salt, pepper and cumin. Drizzle over falafel bowls.
- To spice up falafel bowls, serve with your favorite hot sauce or add a pinch of cayenne pepper to falafel mixture.
- Substitute quinoa, farro or barley for brown rice.
- To make ahead, freeze falafels in airtight container for up to 1 month; reheat from frozen in moderate oven until heated through.