Barley Stuffed Fresh Tomatoes
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 45 min
Total Time: 1 hr
- 1/2 cup uncooked hulled whole or pearled barley
- 1/2 cup carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup provolone cheese, diced
- 1/2 cup frisée, torn
- 1/4 cup Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- Juice of one large lemon
- 4 to 6 large beefsteak tomatoes
- In large saucepan, bring 2 cups water to boil. Add barley; cover, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water; transfer to large bowl.
- Stir in carrots, cucumber, cheese, frisée, olive oil, parsley, oregano, lemon juice and salt; mix to combine and set aside.
- Cut away tops of tomatoes and reserve. Scoop out pulp, cut into cubes and toss with barley mixture. Stuff tomato cavities with barley mixture; cap with tomato tops.
Recipe provided by Chef Mary Ann Esposito