Balsamic-Macerated Strawberries with Basil
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 35 min
Total Time: 45 min
Servings: 4 as a dessert; 6 to 8 as a filling or topping
- 6 cups fresh strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and sliced 1/8 to ¼ inch thick
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp Filippo Berio balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Filippo Berio Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 to 10 medium fresh basil leaves
- In a large bowl, gently toss the strawberries with the sugar, vinegar, and oil. Let sit at room temperature until the strawberries have released their juices but are not yet mushy, about 30 minutes. (Don’t let the berries sit for more than 90 minutes, or they’ll start to collapse.)
- Just before serving, stack the basil leaves on a cutting board and roll them vertically into a loose cigar shape. Using a sharp chef’s knife, very thinly slice across the roll to make a fine chiffonade of basil.
- Portion the strawberries and their juices among four small bowls and scatter with the basil to garnish.